Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Feature: Happy Elephant Designs




1. Tell us about you and your shop.

My name is Shannen Cleis and when I'm not chasing my two year old daughter, Molly, around or chilling with my husband Eric of almost 13 years you can find me doing something crafty or reading. I've always loved doing arts and crafts. My mom (who was an artist herself) would make sure our lives were immersed in art in some way.

I originally tried to sell my cards on my own website. I remember the excitement (and naivety) the night before I went live. I thought I would have hundreds of orders flooding my website. LOL! Needless to say, I never got one order! So then I ventured onto eBay. But found that site too expensive and time consuming. Then in June 2008, I discovered Etsy on Martha Stewart. So I opened my shop (Happy Elephant Designs) and have slowly learned the ins and outs of owning a shop on Etsy.

2. How did you get started in your craft?
I have always enjoyed making cards for my family and friends’ birthday’s, baby showers, weddings, etc… But I would have to say I really started making cards seriously in 2005 after making my Christmas cards. Everyone was floored by them and strongly encouraged me to try and make a go at selling them.

3. What tool can you not live without?
My little Fiskars cutting board and my new 3M 700 adhesive gun!

4. What inspires you?
Everyday things that I see or come across inspire me. TV ads, magazine ads, colors… I usually start a card by sitting at my desk and seeing which colors and papers I’m drawn to that day.
This may sound silly, but my subconscious helps me out too…right before I fall asleep is when I get my best ideas. That’s why I have a little notebook next to my bed so I can jot down or sketch the idea so that I can fall asleep!

5. Name one favorite item from your store



Right now I think my favorite item is a Thank You card.


Shannon's crafty nook is pictured below:


4 comments:

PaperPetalCreations said...

Wow your craft room is so neat and organized, I'm jealous. :) I live in an apartment so my craft room is also a living room, dining rooma and guest bedroom but for the most part its full of crafting fun. Thanks for sharing your story!

1CardCreator said...

I enjoyed reading about you and your process. I love the nice long desk you have for crafting, you are so nicely organized! Your cards are beautiful, good luck. ~Diane DCRU DT

Happy Elephant Designs said...

thanks all for your nice comments. I absolutly LOVE my craft room, I convinced my husband to move me to the Family Room (out from the dreaded basement!) and now I can create all the time:)

Plastic Card said...

This is excellent craft room, and organized as well. Please tel me what kind of tool or materiel are you using in these types of card.